Howdy Hughes started sailing in 2006 with Optis. In 2009, he switched over to Laser 4.7, and now sails Radial and Full Rig. Hughes also sails double-handed boats and on his family’s Beneteau 411.
- Winner of Area F Sears Cup Qualifier, 4th at US Championship 2013
- Laser 4.7 Worlds – Buenos Aires 2012, San Francisco 2011
- National One-Design Champs, V15 skipper – 4th place 2011
- Day Sailer Youth Nationals, skipper – 3rd place 2011
- LYC Jr. Flag Vice Commodore 2013, Rear Commodore 2012, Secretary 2011
- LYC International Commodore Award – 2012, 2011
- Finished 2nd in TSA Laser 4.7 – 2010
- Lakewood Yacht Club Seahorse Sailing Team 2006 – present
- Laser 4.7 District 15 Champion 2010, 3rd place 2011
- Good Sportsmanship Award, TSA Port Arthur 2010
- LYC Most Improved Sailor 2007
- Orange Bowl 2012, 6th in 2011, 2010
Hughes has sailed in National and International Regattas including 4.7 Worlds, Laser North Americans, Gulf Coast Champs, and Orange Bowl.
He sails TSA regattas and enjoys sailing in the Wednesday Night Lake Races as much as his schedule allows. Hughes has done some district Laser racing including the Wurstfest and Easter regattas, and has sailed in the Harvest Moon Regatta five times.
Howdy is active at school and is currently the team captain for the Clear Falls High School Sailing Team. He qualified for the Mallory and Baker National Championships in 2013, coming in at 14 out of 20 in Chicago’s fleet racing. Hughes has been to Opti camp two years and was a counselor one of the years. He has seven years of Seahorse camp under his belt and has been a counselor since 2011. In his spare time he enjoys kite boarding.